To install TalentLMS WP plugin, log in your WordPress site as administrator, and from your Administration panel visit the Plugins page. Click to add a new plugin and search for "talentlms". TalentLMS WP plugin is stored in the WP plugins repository and you should be able to find it right away.
Alternatively, you may manually upload the .zip file of the plugin. First download the plugin from the plugin's page
and then upload the .zip file to WordPress
Once the plugin is installed, procced to activate it.
Once the plugin is activated you will be able to notice the TalentLMS menu on the left of your Administration dashboard options. Clicking on the dashboard of the plugin you may navigate to all the plugin's admin pages. Those are:
- Setup Setup your TalentLMS domain and API key to get your plugin started.
- Integrations Integrate your TalentLMS courses as WooCommerce products
- Shortcodes A comprehensive list of all WordPress TalentLMS plugin's shortcodes
- Help Details about the plugin and any help you might need.
The plugin offers a list of shortcode you can use in any WordPress page or post. Those are:
[talentlms-courses] Shortcode for listing your TalentLMS courses. Otherwise called the course catalog.
Upon installation a few WordPress pages will be automatically created. Those are:
Note: Keep in mind that you should not try to change the slug of those pages, because doing so will affect the functionality of the plugin.
Once you have installed and activated the plugin you need to set it up. The first setup you need to do is to connect your plugin with your TalentLMS domain. To do navigate to the Administration dashboard > TalentLMS > Setup
You need to provide your TalentLMS domain and your TalentLMS API key. Both information is required.
- TalentLMS Domain your TalentLMS domain should be a valid TalentLMS domain. This meas that you should provide the TalentLMS domain in the following format
<your_domain>.talentlms.comMake sure that your do not include the prefix http(s):// when entering your TalentLMS domain
- API key You can find this in your TalentLMS Home / Account & Settings > Security. Click on Enable the API and copy paste your API key. You can find out more about how to obtain your TalentLMS API key here
A mandatory modification you need to make in order TalentLMS WP plugin to properly function is to change the structure of your WordPress permalinks. Go to Administration dashboard > Settings > Permalinks and change the Common Settings to "Post name"
TalentLMS plugin integrates with WooCommerce, a rather popular free eCommerce WordPress plugin. You can integrate your courses as WooCommerce products and sell them through your WooCommerce store.
- Refresh course list
Due to performance reasons data from your TalentLMS domain are cache in WordPress, by the TalentLMS WP plugin. In case some of the courses in your course catalog do not appear in this list, click to refresh your courses list, meaning to update the TalentLMS WP plugin cache.
Choose your TalentLMS courses you want to integrate as WooCommerce products. All TalentLMS categories will be integrated by default.
Selling Course through WooCommerce
Assume you have already integrated your courses as WooCommerce products. So your shop is now ready to sell TalentLMS courses.
Note: You need to make sure that WooCommerce does not allow guest checkouts. Visit your WooCommerce settings and disable the option Enable guest checkout, which allows customers to checkout without creating an account. Find out more about WooCommerce settings here.
Users would add the courses they wish to purchase in their cart and proceed to checkout.
At this point they will be asked to either log in if they are returning customers, or fill in their billing details if they are new customers. In any case they have to log in (or create an account first and then login) to place the order.
Note: Returning customers need to be both users in WordPress (assigned a Customer role) and in TalentLMS, so make sure that you have your users synced in both systems. New users that are getting registered as customers with your WooCommerce are going to be automatically created as TalentLMS users as well.
Once users place their order, your WordPress administrator needs to process that order. When then order is marked as completed then and only then the user will get assigned the course in TalentLMS.
- In some pages of my plugin i receive the following:
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at
which causes my plugin to malfunction. What do i do to solve this issue.
- It is usually because there are spaces, new lines, or other stuff before an opening <?php tag or after a closing ?> tag, typically in wp-config.php. Check out more information about this issue and how to tackle it here.
- I have added new courses in my TalentLMS domain or i have made changes to my course settings (such as hide/show them from catalog or inactivate/activate them) or i have created custom fields for my users but my changes do not show up in my catalog.
- TalentLMS WP plugin communicates with your TalentLMS domain through the TalentLMS API. Data retrieved through the API are cached in your WordPress site for performance reasons. Make sure to refresh your course listin order for your changes in your TalentLMS domain to take effect in your WordPress site.
- Can I restrict the shortcode [talentlms-courses] for the courses catalog to only display a certain category or a certain set of courses.
- No, your catalog will display all your courses and categories. It will display also empty categories. It will not display only courses that are hidden from the catalog or that are inactive.
- I want my users to be able to take courses and their content material in WordPress. How do i do this?
- It is not possible to do so. Your users will have to eventually log in to your TalentLMS and take their courses there.
- Do my customers need to create an account with WooCommerce and TalentLMS or is it possible to enable WooCommerce the guest checkout option?
- Yes, your users need to get registered both as WooCommerce customers and as TalentLMS users. You should disable the WooCommerce guest checkout option.
- I get the following error after installing and activating my plugin:
TalentLMS_ApiError Object: API is not enabled for <domain>.talentlms.com
- You have not enabled your TalentLMS API.. Check out this guide on how to do so.