I suggest you ...

Use email address as ID

Currently, the "username" field is the primary ID for each user in the system. This introduces problems when two separate users have identical names, and forces us to modify the duplicate usernames in a way that is not necessarily intuitive to the end user (e.g. john.smith2).

We'd like to be able to use the user's email address as their primary ID instead of having to invent and track a unique username for each user.

At the moment, this can almost be achieved simply by entering email addresses into the username field, however the username is limited to 33 characters rather than the 150 for email address, so it's not sufficient when there is a long username or domain name in the email address.

In addition, we'd like the login prompt to indicate that it's expecting an email address when this feature is activated.

Finally, in our case, the email domain identifies the "customer", so this would solve the need to report the user's branch for billing and reporting purposes as well.

30 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    PatrickPatrick shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  talentlmsAdmintalentlms (Admin, TalentLMS) responded  · 

The number of characters in the username field has been increased to 150 allowing you to use the email address of a user as username.

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Arthur LeeArthur Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The only issue with using the email address in the username is that the certificate will then print the email address on the certificate. I like the idea of making the email address the primary id.

• PatrickPatrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just a minor correction, the username field allows 50 characters, not 33, however the point remains that it's too short for some of our customer's email addresses.

Feedback and Knowledge Base