I suggest you ...

Course content list view for learners (like instructor view)

This is related to the feedback from another customer regarding course content.

I know the 'Info' function exists but I feel it could be unintuitive for some learners. Some of my learners are more inclined to click on the name of the course itself, and are surprised when they find the first content unit plays automatically instead of seeing a list of all content they can access.

For the majority of my courses, this doesn't matter since I usually have just one unit of content. But some of my learners have access to a course which has many units of content.

My request is to be able to turn on something in the instructor settings so that learners can see a list of all the content in that course, instead of the only option being the first unit playing automatically. That way I can choose which of my courses play automatically, and which show a list of content.

8 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Matt Hone shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a major improvement to be able to have the first screen the student sees to be the course information page. It would be nice to have this option on the courses screen so that at that time the option can be selected to show course info either at start up; upon unit completions; or upon completion of each piece of content.

• Phil Lim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's still a challenge for us to get people to click the "info" button for a course. Is it possible to change the default behaviour when clicking a course name to bring up the info popup, and the current info link changed to "go to"?

I think this would go a long way in learner experience

• heather.james commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love this.

@ Percy, you need to be in "Admin view" to change role from learner to instructor. So that is why it's not available as an instructor, looking in the section you mention. You have to view it as an administrator, I think?

• Percy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another possible reason why learners would not know how to use "INFO" may be that "INFO" looks like a static label, rather than a "link" they can click. (For example, "progress bar" and "instructor" are static labels, hence it is reasonable for learners to think that "INFO" might be the same) How about changing its appearance to a hyperlink format (just a suggestion)?

In addition to the solution below, you should also:

4. Change the role from "learner" to "instructor" in "Home / Courses / course_name / Users / (role column) INSTRUCTOR".

PS. Try and test for more scenarios before you apply!

Dear talentlms,

The list view is very important to learners. Not only myself, the testers I invited all have the same problem in their first experience. And we all know users' 1st experience is so important!! I hope you can consider to add in this ACL into "Learner" as your default User Type.

To this problem, I'll suggest the alternative below (although not a perfect solution):

1. Create a new user type called "New-Learner-Type" (you can define the name as you want) in "Home / User types / + Add user type"

2. Edit the Permissions as following:

select:

Instructor / Courses / View
        Instructor / Courses / Delete / Units / View

Learner (all)
        Generic (all, except Generic / Help)

PS. The above setting will create "New-Learner-Type" as a learner and instructor both. However, in instructor perspective, this type will be limited for all instructor functions, except viewing content in list.

3. Select the users in "Home / Users". Change their user type to "New-Learner-Type" through "Home / Users / Username / Info / User type / New-Learner-Type"

Hope it helps.

• AdminTalentLMS (Support Team, TalentLMS) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although the student accesses the first unit of a course by default, he/she can use either the more info button (on course list) or the dropdown menu (on the header) to access any unit he/she wants (make sure that you allow free content traversal for your course from course->rules, otherwise you enforce the end-user to view the content in serial order)

As a good practice, you may use a first unit that provides some generic course info and pinpoints how the end-user can access other units.

• Giles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi y'all.

I agree with this. I want my learners to be able to pick and choose what units they want to study first. To me, that kind of self-guided, self-access is the whole point of eLearning. Different learners learn in different ways, so giving them a choice of approaches supports different learning styles.

Talent - please let learners pick and choose the unit they want from each course screen.

Thanks!
        Giles

Feedback and Knowledge Base