I suggest you ...

Multiple Learning Pathways

Add a way to assign users to different learning pathways through the courses, rather than just have one way to progress through the courses.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Benjamin Allred shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Benjamin Allred commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently, the system only supports one learning "path", where a "path" is the order in which the users should complete the courses.

Say we have six courses. We’ll call them Course A, B, C, D, E, and F.
        We have six types of users. The each type needs to complete certain courses in a certain order. In other words, each user type needs its own path.
        1. Type 1 users need to take courses A, B, C, D, and E
        2. Type 2 users need to take courses A, B, C, D, and F
        3. Type 3 users need to take courses A, B, D, and E
        4. Type 4 users need to take courses A, B, D, and F
        5. Type 5 users need to take courses A, C, D, and E
        6. Type 6 users need to take courses A, C, D, and F

We have Single-Sign On set up. When a user logs in, TalentLMS reads a field in our directory with a list of the groups they should be assigned to, and assigns them to the corresponding groups. The group, in turn, assigns the user to the courses they will need to complete.

The difficulty is determining how to structure the system so the users will complete the courses in the right order. Here’s what we’ve tried so far.

*Method A.* The most obvious approach seemed to be to use the “Availability Rules” for each course to list the pre-requisite courses. For example, on Course B, we add Course A as a pre-requisite, and on course C, we add course B as a prerequisite. This works for users types 1-4, but it creates an issue for user types 5 and 6, because they need to have Course A be the
        only prerequisite for course C. Since they don’t take course B, they can’t get into Course C now. In other words, we can “split” paths, but we can’t “merge” paths.

*Method B: Use Events Engine/Automation.* We can set up a rule to automatically assign course B once course A is completed, but this has the same issues as Method A. How do we get type 5 and 6 users over to course C, skipping course B?

*Method C: Make each path a separate branch.* I thought we could set up separate paths by creating a separate branch for each path, but each branch uses the same Availability Rules and the same Automation rules as the main branch, so this has the same issues as Method A and Method B.

*Method D: Make one “combo” course for each user type, and link the units
        from the other courses into the “combo”.* Example: I make a new course for Type 1 users. For the course content (units), I go to “Link from another course” and link all the units from course A, then course B, C, D and E. The main problem with this approach is that we lose a lot of reporting. We can only see their percent progress for a course, not the specific units they have completed.

*Method E: Use Gamification Levels and Dummy Courses* In the Gamification settings, turn on "UPgrade level every 1 completed courses." Assign course A to level 1, B to level 2, C to level 3, D to level 4, and E and F to Level 5. To let Type 3 and 4 users skip Level 3 (course C), create a "dummmy course C" (with little or no content) for them to pass that lets them get to Level 4 and take course D. Similarly, to let types 5 and 6 users skip course B, create a "dummy Course B" so they can "skip" Level 2.

*Cons to Method E:* Can't assign courses a la carte. If you want a random user to take any course besides Course A, you must create dummy courses for them to check off, since there isn't currently a way to adjust a user's "level" manually.

What the system really needs is a new Admin page where you can easily map out different pathways for users to take through the courses, and assign users to those pathways.

Feedback and Knowledge Base