I suggest you ...

Enable "Group owners" with instructor-view privileges for only those within their group

Currently, reporting view is an "all or nothing" controlled by course instructors.

We're receiving increasing requests from customers who want to track their team's progress through a course.
For example, our client company X, Manager A would like to track everyone in their company's progress through a course so that they can follow up with those who are in progress, or haven't yet started.
There's seems to be no way to manage this that I can think of. Granting Manager A instructor-view privileges in the course would allow them to see EVERYONE's progress (for security reasons, we obviously don't want them to see the data of other customers!).

Perhaps the solution is enabling a “Group” owner feature that grants the owner instructor-view privileges for all users within the group. This would allow internal and external managers to track their team’s progress without compromising customer data. With the current functionality, it seems this kind of view-level access can only be granted at the course-level, not at the group-level. Again, for security reasons, we obviously can’t allow one company’s manager to see all of our customers’ data in an entire course. Enabling a “group owner” where the instructor-view permissions are only enabled for members within the group would solve this.

79 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    lauren_smirfittlauren_smirfitt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Slonky AdminSlonky Admin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a similar request (requirement!). We would really like to have group Instructors only be able to see those within their group. As it sits, we have to clone courses in order to achieve this. But if a Learner changes managers (Instructors) they have to change courses and their progress is lost. Cloning a course for every batch (Group) of users is quite inefficient.

• marymary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're receiving similar requests. We added a custom field so that user's can select what company they belong to, but it would be great if we could group them and select a "manager" for the group of users that can see reports for those users only.

• RachelRachel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Couldn't agree more! I basically need a user type that is a Group Manager that has all the access of a learner (to complete their own learning) with the additional ability to view their Group's Report/progress.

• Jessica SpencerJessica Spencer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a similar situation. The groups function has a lot of functionality for grouping courses, but not for grouping people. I'd like to avoid creating separate branches with separate URLs, etc., but I need to be able to group learners together and allow the manager of those leaners to monitor learner course progress via reporting. But I don't want that manager to see the progress of others who aren't in his/her group. The branch functionality works great for separating experiences (internal employee training versus external customer training) but isn't ideal when you want to create groups/departments within a branch.

Feedback and Knowledge Base